Also known as Fibromyositis; Fibrositis
Fibromyalgia is a common syndrome in which a person has long-term, body-wide pain and tenderness in the joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. It has also been linked to fatigue, sleep problems, headaches, depression, and anxiety.
Causes, Incidence, and Risk Factors
The cause is unknown. Possible causes or triggers include:
- Physical or emotional trauma
- Abnormal pain response – areas in the brain that are responsible for pain may react differently in fibromyalgia patients
- Sleep disturbances
- Infection, such as a virus, although none has been identified
This condition is most common among women aged 20 to 50.
The following conditions may be seen with fibromyalgia or mimic its symptoms:
- Chronic neck or back pain
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)
- Lyme disease
- Sleep disorders
Recently, many patients with fibromyalgia have been seeking chiropractic care. Because fibromyalgia causes numerous tender points all over the body, many patients suffer from back pain, neck pain, and leg cramps. In an attempt to solve these problems, many sufferers have looked to chiropractors. By adjusting the spine can restore neural & vascular pathways, in which many sufferers have found significant reduction of pain all over their bodies.